Media Elements

Central Newcastle High School

Central Newcastle High School and Newcastle upon Tyne Church High School announced plans in January 2013 to join together to form Newcastle High School for Girls, a new leading independent girls’ school in the North East.

​The new school, based in Jesmond, will educate girls aged from three to 18, combining the best of Central High and Church High to create a vibrant learning community. The range of curricular and extra-curricular opportunities that the new school offers will make it the leading choice for every girl and parent in the North East. Both schools share a similar ethos and a long history, as well as being close geographically and fully committed to the best education and care for girls.

Newcastle High School for Girls will be the strongest in the North East, and one of the leading girls’ schools in the country.

How do we know? Because the two schools coming together, Central Newcastle High School and Newcastle upon Tyne Church High School, have between them already more than 250 years of experience in girls’ education.

We now have a unique opportunity to build on that heritage of academic excellence and pastoral care, and to echo the founding aims of both schools – to be the most radical, exciting and innovative school in the region.

The education of girls lies at the heart of our vision. Girls deserve the opportunity to grow as individuals, assume leadership roles, develop lasting friendships and take risks in an environment that caters for their needs. Great girls’ schools don’t reinforce stereotypes; they give girls the confidence to challenge and subvert them.

A clear purpose

Newcastle High School for Girls will identify the strengths, guide the enthusiasms and unlock the potential of every girl:

A powerful learning environment: the focus on girls’ learning will be reflected in the design of learning spaces; the use of digital technology; a challenging and rewarding curriculum; and a focus on pupils taking responsibility for their learning and having the confidence to take intellectual risks.

A safe and happy place: imbued with a culture of well-being, trust and respect for oneself and others. Academic achievement will be set within the broader development of the whole person – social, cultural, spiritual and physical as well as intellectual.

An excellent preparation for the next stages of life: an all-through school, the progress made in the Junior phase will be built on seamlessly in the Senior phase; while the Sixth Form will provide a perfect bridge to higher study. The skills learned in school will lead to success in life and help to create the leaders of tomorrow.

Aims

Our aim is to equip girls to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing world with confidence, so Newcastle High School for Girls will develop young women who:

• Are motivated by a spirit of enquiry, exploring ideas in a generous, critical and constructive way; reflect on, communicate and defend their own views while respecting the views of others; secure in their knowledge, and don’t take anything for granted.
  • Meet new challenges with resourcefulness, creativity and resilience; are enterprising and adventurous, take the initiative and aim high; apply their knowledge and skills in unfamiliar contexts; have aptitude for, and experience of, leadership.
  • Are intrinsically motivated and independent; are aware of their impact on others; have strong moral values and act with integrity and fairness; are sensitive to and appreciate culture and community; are collaborative and supportive in team situations.
  • Participate critically, considerately and constructively in their community; value connectivity, relishing opportunities to create and share knowledge and develop new skills.

Our aspirations for the girls will inform our expectations of everyone working at Newcastle High School for Girls: the design, the organisation, the approach to teaching and learning and the leadership of the school will model the behaviours we aim to develop in our pupils.

Please note our Junior School is located a short distance away at Chapman House, Sandyford Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1TA.

Other key information

• Age range 3 to 18
  • 810 pupils
  • Day only (no boarding)

National awards

Fees 2014/15

YearTermly FeeExtras included in fees
Senior £3,896.00The fees cover the regular curriculum, school books, stationery and other materials, choral music, games and swimming, careers guidance and public examination fees, but not optional extra subjects or school meals. The latter are charged separately.
Junior School £3,004.00The fees cover the regular curriculum, school books, stationery and other materials, choral music, games and swimming, careers guidance and public examination fees, but not optional extra subjects or school meals. The latter are charged separately.
Nursery £2,455.00The fees cover the regular curriculum, school books, stationery and other materials, choral music, games and swimming, careers guidance and public examination fees, but not optional extra subjects or school meals. The latter are charged separately.

We offer your daughter an outstanding education at one of the best schools in the country.

A*/A A Level percentage

• 55%
  • 27%
  • Central Newcastle High
  • National average