Schoolgirls from Heathfield School for Girls, Pinner, have been inspired to walk in support of 'Because I am a Girl', a fast growing campaign led by the global children’s charity Plan UK. It aims to ensure four million of the world’s poorest girls have access to quality education.
More than 300 pupils and staff from Heathfield School for Girls hope to raise money for a Plan UK fund providing educational opportunities to girls in urban slums, and rural and war torn areas in poorer parts of the world. The walk takes place on Monday 26 March, leaving the school at 12pm. The route is seven miles from the school in Beaulieu Drive, Pinner to Wembley Stadium, where the girls will congregate beneath the statue of Bobby Moore.
Students were moved to take action after discovering that 75 million girls – more than the number of people living in the UK – were missing out on education in the developing world.
They were also shocked to learn that one in seven girls become child brides before the age of 15 in the world’s poorest regions.
Pupils hope to drum up more public support for Plan UK drive against the early and forced marriage of millions of girls across the developing world.
“We have had such fantastic backing from Heathfield pupils”, says Naomi Williams, Plan UK’s Campaigns Manager. "Their decision to embark on a fundraising walk to Wembley Stadium is a great expression of support for our campaign."
“Around the world there are millions of girls at risk of being pressured or coerced to become child brides. Many will face the prospect of being taken out of school to marry someone they have never met. We want to help these girls to escape forced marriage and stay in education.”
To make a donation in support of Heathfield School’s fundraising walk – visit http://www.justgiving.com/heathfieldschoolpinner.
For more information about the 'Because I am a Girl' campaign and Plan UK visit www.becauseiamagirl.org and www.plan-uk.org.
For further information:
Bernadette Ryder, Marketing & Communications Manager Tel: 020 8868 2346 • Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to Editors
Heathfield School for Girls is an independent school for girls aged 3-18 and part of the Girls' Day School Trust (GDST). Based in Beaulieu Drive, Pinner, HA5 1NB. www.heathfield.gdst.net
About Plan UK
1. Plan is a global children’s charity. We work with children in 48 of the world’s poorest countries to help them build a better future
2. For over 70 years we’ve been taking action and standing up for every child’s right to fulfill their potential
3. Plan was founded by British journalist John Langdon-Davies in 1937 to rescue orphans and other vulnerable children from the Spanish Civil War
4. We have over 114,000 sponsors in the UK, generating £25 million a year, and 1.5 million sponsored children worldwide
5. 'Because I am a Girl' is a fast growing global campaign for the education and rights of girls in the world’s poorest communities