Our 2019 competition is now open for nominations!
Find out about some of our previous winners below and our criteria for nomination.
The GDST Alumna of the Year Award was launched in 2011 to help recognise the many varied achievements of our alumnae. Alumnae and students vote for a winner from a shortlist of nominees. The winner is interviewed for our alumnae magazine, GDST Girl for Life, and is awarded £500 as a donation to a charity of her choice.
The award recognises achievements in these areas:
- Championing a charitable cause
- Achieving outstanding academic or professional success
- Driving environmental or social change
- Being a pioneer or achieving success in a challenging field
- Being an inspiration to women or young people
Dr Nirupa Murugaesu, 2018 winner
Dr Nirupa Murugaesu is an alumna of Notting Hill & Ealing High School. She was recognised for her clinical leadership and oversight of the Cancer Programme for The 100,000 Genomes Project.
Clinical Lead for Molecular Oncology at Genomics England, Nirupa provides clinical leadership and oversight of the Cancer Programme for The 100,000 Genomes Project, the groundbreaking genome sequencing project - set up to harness the power of genomics in the treatment of rare diseases and cancers.
The project involves sequencing the DNA codes of cancer patients, in order to be able to provide better, earlier diagnoses and personal care for sufferers.
Cressida Dick, 2017 winner
Cressida Dick CBE is the GDST Alumna of the Year 2017. An alumna of Oxford High School, she was was honoured for her outstanding contribution to policing.
Jenny Beavan, 2016 winner
The winner of the 2016 Alumna of the Year Award was Putney High School alumna, Oscar-winning costume designer Jenny Beavan.
Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions
Read the full T&Cs for the Alumna of the Year Award.
- The nominated alumna must be over the age of 18
- The Award is only open to living alumnae
- The nominator must have the consent of the alumna being nominated
- The nominee must agree that if they are successful in being shortlisted they consent to publicity relating to the award
- The nominee must have attended a current GDST school – a list of current GDST schools can be found here