Understanding Wraparound Care for Children
Introduction to Wraparound Care
Juggling work and childcare can be difficult for parents and guardians which is why some will explore options, such as wraparound care, to aid them. So, what is wraparound care?
It is childcare support provided by schools to parents or guardians outside of school classroom hours, such as before and after school. This may include breakfast club or after school club in a junior or primary school, or summer camps for students of different ages during the summer holidays.
Benefits of Wraparound Care
Wraparound care has several benefits for children, parents or guardians, and schools. For children, it provides a safe and supportive environment to learn, play, and socialise. It also promotes healthy eating habits and physical activity, which can contribute to their overall wellbeing. For parents or guardians, it provides peace of mind knowing that their children are in a safe and secure environment. For schools, it can improve academic performance and reduce stress on teachers and staff.
Advantages for children
- Better physical health through diet and exercise
- Improved mental health and behaviour
- Better academic performance
- Increased social skills and confidence
Advantages for parents
- Access to a team of professionals who can help them navigate the system and provide support
- Improved parenting skills and confidence
- Reduced stress and improved well-being
- Improved family relationships
Advantages for schools
- Improved attendance and engagement of children
- Reduced behaviour problems and disruptions in the classroom
- Improved collaboration between school and other service providers
- Enhanced reputation and recognition as a school that provides high-quality support to its students and families
How Wraparound Care Works
Wraparound care works by providing structured activities and supervision for children before and after school, or during school holidays. In the UK, many schools offer wraparound care services such as:
- breakfast clubs
- after school clubs
- summer camps
- extended day programs
These services provide a safe and supportive environment for children, while also meeting the needs of working parents. They are usually provided at a small daily fee. Contact your school for more information.
Conclusion: The Importance of Wraparound Care for Children
In conclusion, wraparound care is an important aspect of childcare support provided by schools to parents outside of school classroom hours. It offers several benefits for children, parents, and schools, and can contribute to the overall well being and success of students. While there are challenges and issues associated with wraparound care, there are also opportunities for schools to provide high-quality, innovative services that meet the unique needs of their students and families.
Find out about other key educational terminology in our jargon buster.